Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hand dyed yarn!

I experimented with dying yarn myself. I bought some fisherman's wool by lion brand, which is nudged 100% wool with the lanolin still in tact. Anyway! I used koolaid and food coloring, mixed it into mason jars (quart size) until I got the desired saturation. Be sure to Satan wrap your work space. I used some old, worn out cotton t-shirts to keep my mess dry and to test the color out before I put the dye in it. After that, I soaked my yarn in water (presoaking) and then dried it out as best I could. Then I put a plate into my microwave, dipped the yarn (one piece at a time) into the jars to absorb color. Put the yarn/jar mess on the plate and nuke them. How long depends on your microwave, mine was 6 minutes on high. Then, take out the yarn and rinse the dyed portion until the water is clear. Repeat with all colors and sections as desired. After all is dyed, wash the yarn with some mild soap and lukewarm water, then lay flat to dry. Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment