Tuesday, January 8, 2013

First Ravelry Pattern! Woo!

I made my first pattern to write down and I've decided to post on Ravelry to share with the world my creative genius.... All 15 rows of it... Haha... -_- Anyway! Here it is!

Super Easy Sweatbands!


I created this one day at work, while I was bored and doing nothing. I was beginning to dread my self-imposed workout routine that I was starting that night after I finished my work. I dreaded going to the gym and breaking a sweat and huffing and puffing and just the general unpleasantness of being sweaty. I LOATHE sweat dripping into my eyes. So I decided I would make myself a sweatband. (Yes, I keep spare yarn and notions at work for times like this, and yes, I'm a nerd like that. You love it.) So I just starting casting on and measuring as I went and this was my result! It's completely simple and beginner-friendly! It also only took me about 20 minutes to make. So great last-second gift for the exercise fiend in your life! I used 100% cotton for absorbance, but if you don't have cotton and only want it for the "glam" factor, feel free to use whatever yarn and needles you want! The gauge isn't essential as you basically measure your wrist, cast on some stitches and see if it matches your measurements. I do recommend you use the ribbing for the stretch factor, however! I knit it flat due to the lack of DPNs available at my desk, but it can be worked in the round! Play around with it and find what you like best! Oh, and knitting with two strands together would be great for more absorbance!

Skills Needed:
 p- purling
k- knitting
co- casting on
bo- binding off
weaving in ends
stockinette stitch- knitting and purling in alternate rows
1x1ribbing- knitting and purling in alternate stitches

Materials:
US 6 (4mm) straight needles or DPNs (whichever you prefer!)
Peaches & Cream 100% cotton, worsted weight in Happy Go Lucky
Yarn needle to weave in ends.
Gauge: 18 sts = 4” in 1x1 ribbing

Instructions: Cast on 28 stitches
Rows 1-4: k1, p1, rep to end of row.
Rows 5-10: Stockinette Stitch
Rows 11-14: k1, p1, rep to end of row
Row 15: Bind off in ribbing.
If you knitting it on straight needles, use the tail yarn (I’d use at least 8” to make sure you get a proper graft and tight weave) to graft the piece together. If you knitted in the round, feel free to simply weave in the ends! Voila! Finished sweatband! Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

No comments:

Post a Comment